Strafford Metropolitan Planning Organization convened a group of passenger and freight rail stakeholders on January 21, 2015. This group, the SRPC Rail Working Group, will focus on identifying opportunities for freight and passenger rail in the region and state, and support efforts related to rail through education and outreach.
To ensure that the Piscataqua region becomes an integral hub in the intermodal transportation system and supports multi modal opportunities for the entire state to include
access to reliable and affordable trade, health, housing, and recreation opportunities.
1. To identify, recruit, and educate individuals and stakeholders on the benefits of and opportunities for rail in the greater Piscataqua region.
2. To bring together the different stakeholders in the greater Piscataqua region and beyond to create a rail foundation (with improved local connectivity) that acts as an economic engine and reconnects the region and the State to the global maritime routes and North American rail system.
3. To work with and support the NH Rail and Transit Authority.
4. To communicate with state and federal delegations.
5. To communicate with State Agencies including, but not limited to, the Department of Transportation, the Office of Energy and Planning , the Department of Resources and Economic Development and the Department on Environmental Services with regard to the need for transportation infrastructure necessary improvements.
6. To identify and, as appropriate, create teams to research funding opportunities from public and private sources.
The next Strafford Rail Working Group Meeting will be held in September. Time and Location TBD.
Minutes from the Rail Working Group can be found here.
Strafford Regional Planning Commission
150 Wakefield Street, Suite 12
Rochester, New Hampshire 03867
Tel: (603) 994-3500 Fax: (603)994-3504